The Melrose Seed Library, a partnership between the Melrose Community Garden and Melrose Public Library, was started in the spring of 2015. Each season a multitude of varieties of open pollinated and heirloom fruit, vegetable, and flower seeds are offered. We are proud to have signed the Safe Seed Pledge, showing our commitment to providing socially responsible seeds. We hope residents are inspired to explore the varieties and grow from seed to seed, enjoying the harvest and capturing seed for future planting.
For more information about the Melrose Community Garden group, a proud member of Sustainable Melrose, please visit their Facebook page.
2021 Planting Season
- When choosing seeds, wear a mask and keep a six foot distance from others at all times.
- Each group of seeds within an elastic or paper clip contains the same variety – take the top one.
- The Seed Library will be outside the Melrose Public Library on a table.
- The Seed Library will be available on “fair weather days” during Front Door Pick-up Service Hours.
- Each patron is allowed 12 baggies of seeds for the 2021 season.
- The Seed Library will set up a return station in the fall.
- Melrose High School Environmental Club
- Melrose Community Gardeners
- Joan’s Book Group
- Library patrons, friends and neighbors!
Starting and Saving Seeds -Slides shared courteously by Gretel Anspach of Massachusetts Master Gardener Association from library presentation (March 31, 2021)