What’s all the hoopla?
What’s all the hoopla?
Melrose residents* now have access to hoopla – a digital media service that allows you to borrow movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics and TV shows to enjoy on your computer, tablet, or phone – and even your TV! There are no holds and no waiting – titles can be streamed immediately, or downloaded to phones or tablets. There are thousands of titles to choose from, with more being added daily.
Melrose residents are allowed five (5)* hoopla checkouts each month. *The library is temporarily increasing borrowing limits to 10 titles per month. Hoopla is also now offering a Bonus Borrowing collection that allows unlimited check out of selected titles.
- Ebooks, audiobooks, comics, & graphic novels: checkout for 21 days
- Movies and TV shows: checkout for 3 days
- Music: checkout for 7 days
Note: When you borrow music you get the entire album shown. If a television program has more than one episode, each episode is borrowed separately, not the entire season.
*Non-residents should contact their home library for information on accessing hoopla.
- Hoopla provides digital movies, television programs, music, audiobooks & ebooks.
- You can only stream Hoopla’s content on a PC or Mac, not download it.
- You can stream or download Hoopla’s content on iOS or Android devices through the Hoopla Digital App.
- There are no holds lists for content. All content is available to everyone at any time.
- View the number of items you have checked out or have remaining for the month under My Titles.
- There are no fines or fees. All content stops working at the end of its checkout period.
First Time User
- Go to the library’s hoopla page.
- Click on “Get Started Today”
- Agree to the User Agreement page
- Enter your email address and create a password
- Under Choose a Library, select Melrose Public Library
- Enter your library card number.
- Once you have registered for a Hoopla Digital account you can browse for content and play it on your PC or Mac or play and download on your iOS or Android device with the Hoopla App. Follow the instructions for returning users.
Instructions for Returning User
Follow these steps to browse using your Hoopla login and stream content on your PC or MAC. You can also stream and download to an iOS or Android device with the Hoopla App.
- Go to the library’s hoopla page. Sign in with your email address and password.
- Use the available navigation tools to search or browse for a movie, television program, audiobook, or music album.
- To borrow an item, click on the items image and then click or tap Borrow.
- Click or tap Play to listen or view the item.
- If you are using the Hoopla App on an iOS or Android device, tap Download to download it to your device.