Local History Collection
Melrose Public Library provides an extensive local history collection.
- Books on Melrose history
- City directories and/or street lists back to 1872/73
- Late 19th century atlases
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps on microfilm from 1887-1934
- Melrose newspapers on microfilm (not indexed)
- Town/city reports from 1851-1979/80
- Town/city reports digitized from 1851-1925
- Melrose High School yearbooks back to 1925
- A file of clippings, photographs, and miscellanea
- Family histories
- Melrose Public Library Digital Heritage Collection
Please contact a reference librarian for access to this noncirculating collection. Items on microfilm are available in the Reference Department. Other items are available in the Genealogy/Melrose History Room.
Due to the valuable nature of this collection, the following procedure is to be followed by all users:
- You will be asked to provide identification (driver’s license, etc.) before access is provided. This identification will be returned when you are done with your research.
- Staff will have you leave all personal belongings except pencils and notepaper locked at the reference desk.
- There is a small copier in the room for the convenience of users, as no material may be taken from the room.
- A Reference Librarian will accompany patrons who are using the room for the first time.
- Per the Director, it is our policy that any patron using the locked vertical files in the G room will be assisted by the Reference Librarian, who will remain in the room while the vertical files are in use.